Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Standing workstation for IT worker’s home office


New York Times recently published an article that stated that sitting for a long period of time is hazardous to your health. Being an IT worker I can confirm this finding from my own perspective also. When you add a keyboard to the sitting in front of a table part you suddenly notice that also your sitting posture starts to slide down. (I also bet you that most IT workers are not that interested in physical exercise, at least not when they are “young” and “healthy” ;-)) The standing way would keep your body in a natural position and the stress would be eaqually divided to your body.

First time I saw a standing workstation it was in an IT magazine that was introducing a new way of working in a new and revolutionary company. Now that the topic has rising up again it got me thinking what kind of options are there for me to implement the standing way of working to my home office. It should of course be electronic, lazy as I am. Oh and yes as you have figured out, I'm one of those "young" and "healthy".

The table for design oriented persons - JENSENplus K2
Image from Architonic
The JENSENplus K2 has quite the unique looks with its lifting system. I think this truly is an engineering masterpiece from Denmark without sacrificing functionality.

The table for budget minded persons - Ergo electric table
Image from Toimistoon.fi
The Ergo has quite generic office looks but it is priced one third of the Jensen's price. It also includes a cable holder to keep all your cords organized and neatly hidden. This table is also available as a frame only model so you can choose the table surface yourself!

For the DIY minded persons I suggest that you take a look at Dawn Foster's post about a 19.99$ standing workstation. It has some tips you can take into consideration if you want a cheap option or are just interested in giving the standing way of nerding a try.

E.H

No comments:

Post a Comment