Saturday, October 25, 2008

Standard Varnish Works

Standard Varnish Works

So in tooling around the NYPL Digital Collection, I came across this old illustration of the "Standard Varnish Works - Elm Park". Looking over the picture I immediately knew I had seen the three large stacks in the picture's left. I also knew I'd seen them along Richmond Terrace but I couldn't recall exactly where in reference to the Bayonne Bridge.

Looking at the illustration again I knew where things were. In the bottom right there's a little pointed roofed building that I knew was just to the west of the bridge. A few minutes on Googlemaps proved me right.

The link at the beginning of this post takes you to a pdf of the proceedings taken by the NYC Landmarks Commission. They essentially take away the rights of the property owner for some supposed greater community good. Clearly I'm a fan of the old and historical but I'm also a strong supporter of property rights. At the least there should be some sort of compensations when property's landmarked and in the case of a the barest remnant of a dilapidated old factory it shouldn't be done at all.






View Larger Map



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment